When there’s a mess in your home, you’re sure to want to do whatever you can to clean it up completely. Even when marks and spills are scrubbed and scoured, however, messes can still remain due to smells, stains, and sometimes textures. When these little bits of evidence remain, you can be sure that, though the initial mess is gone, your home isn’t entirely clean. Unfortunately, most cleaning products used to get a mess up completely contain incredibly harsh chemicals that can be harmful to you, your family, your pets, and of course, the environment. So, you know you need the heavy duty stuff to get a true clean, but you don’t want to introduce heavy chemicals into your home if you can avoid it. Luckily, there are eco-friendly cleaning supply alternatives that not only get the job done well, but do it without posing any threats to you and your loved ones.
Swap This for That: Eco-Friendly Alternatives to Replace Harsh Household Cleaners
The following eco-friendly alternatives will give you the super-clean results you’re after without the harsh and dangerous chemicals that should never be around your family. If you have any of the following dangerous cleaning supplies under your sink or in your cupboard, try swapping them out for their eco-friendly alternatives.
The Most Common Household Cleaners
- Clorox Kitchen Cleaner + Bleach
- Kaboom Foam-Tastic Fresh Scent Bathroom Cleaner
- Dawn Dish Washing Liquid
- Lysol Lemon Breeze All Purpose Cleaner
- Windex Glass Cleaner
- Pledge Furniture Polish
- Resolve Carpet Cleaner and Stain Remover
Chances are you have one or more of the above products in your home. Though they may be effective, you are continually exposing your family to dangerous chemicals. Thankfully, more and more companies are producing eco-friendly products that are as good as, if not better, than the most popular household cleaners you have known and been using for years.
- Instead of Clorox Kitchen Cleaner + Bleach, Kaboom Foam-Tastic Fresh Scent Bathroom Cleaner, and Lysol Lemon Breeze All Purpose Cleaner try Enviro One Multi-Use Green All Purpose Cleaner: One product that can replace three? It may seem unheard of or even too good to be true, but Enviro One’s products have made a name for themselves as being enough to replace most of your household cleaner arsenal.This eco-friendly, USA produced cleaner is free of harsh chemicals such as bleach, but can still kill germs fast and effectively. Great and gentle to use in the kitchen, bathroom, or anywhere it’s needed in the house, this cleaner has a 24-hour residual protection, is safe to use on sports equipment and children’s toys due to EPA registration, and actually kills various strains of Staph, including MRSA. What’s more, it’s gentle enough to be used around both children and pets. Whether the kitchen counter or floor, the shower, tub, or sink, this product can do it all.
- Instead of Dawn Dish Washing Liquid, try Life Tree Dish Soap: This lovely green dish soap may look simple, but it is actually a heavy duty cleaner that effortlessly cuts through grease and grime and lifts away food. This super concentrated formula comes in a compact bottle that lists all the necessary ingredients, showing that it is safe around family and pets, and free of ultra-harsh chemicals. In addition, this dish soap is gentle on your hands, leaving them soft and moisturized.
- Instead of Windex Glass Cleaner, try Bath Petals California Rose garden Glass Cleaner: Instead of inhaling the harsh, dizzying fumes of the common glass cleaner, try this light and airy rose-scented cleaner that is 100% natural. This concentrated cleaner is made with rose and geranium essential oils, giving it it’s light clean smell. However, thanks to its natural mineral, vinegar, and organic grain alcohol formula, this product is also highly effective for deep cleaning windows without any dangerous toxins or chemicals. You can also choose from other glass cleaner scents, as well as other eco-friendly Bath Petals household products!
- Instead of Pledge Furniture Polish, try Earth Friendly Furniture Polish: All Earth Friendly Products are free of dangerous chemicals such as formaldehyde and dioxane, and instead are completely natural and made with olive oil. This plant based furniture polish cleanses and cares for wood surfaces, bringing out natural beauty and shine without the harsh smells. Fingerprints, sticky spots, dirt, and dust don’t stand a chance against this eco-friendly wonder!
- Instead of Resolve Carpet Cleaner and Stain Remover, try Biokleen Carpet and Rug Shampoo: Tough stains and odors are no match for Biokleen carpet and rug shampoo. This plant-based product with enzymes works to break up dirt and stains on your carpets without leaving behind harsh residues or ruining colors and patterns. In addition, this product is 3x concentrated, meaning it reduces the need of excess packaging and saves energy. It can be used on carpet, so get cleaning!
In addition to these great products, there are plenty of DIY eco-friendly cleaners and products that can tackle any mess that sweeps through your home. Just as you want to protect your home and family from harsh chemicals, you must do your part to protect the earth as well. These products and those you can make yourself are sure to bring about positive change for your health and the environment.